HOT RODS, STREET CARS, RACE CARS, STOCK CARS, ROAD RACE CARS, HIGH PERFORMANCE BOATS, AND FAST TRUCKS
Copyright © 2015 Julius Hughes, III. All rights reserved.
The Zot VI Top Fuel Front Engine Dragster building project is complete. The car was completed in time for the 2016 NHRA Reunion at Bowling Green. We will be participating in NHRA Hot Rod Series events, Outlaw Nitro Tour events and plan to attend some Car Shows and other events. The car is a 225" Horton chassis with a 426 KB Hemi for power.
Zot V, was built by Atlanta Speed Shop's Owner/Engineer, Julius Hughes III, in 2006 through a partnership with Shane Beaty. It is a 1999 Horton 200" chassis powered by a classic 392 Hemi.
Zot IV, a 215" wheel base RCS chassis "Top Fuel" dragster. Atlanta Speed Shop purchased this car from Tommy Ivo in 1970. This car was last raced by Julius Hughes, Jr @ Pomona in 1971 and was destroyed later in the year with Don Dixon driving the car @ Miami-Hollywood. Don Dixon was the head Machinist
for Atlanta Speed Shop from 1970-1987.
Zot III, was built in partnership by Julius Hughes, Jr, Frank Brumby and Harold Springs. It was a Woody Gilmore "Top Fuel" dragster. The car won the 1965 Division 2 NHRA Points Championship with a small block on 50% nitro.
Zot II (AA/Altered) was built in 1963 by Atlanta Speed Shop This car set the AA/A record several times and won Indy and Bakersfield in 1964. It was powered by a 287 CID small block chevy, with a 6-71 blower on gasoline.
Zot I (55 chevy), the first Atlanta Speed Shop race car was built in 1960 by Julius Hughes, Jr and partner, Frank Brumby. This car ran E, D and C/Gas. It had a 6-71 blown small block in it's final form.
Photo Collections of the Atlanta Speed Shop Series of the "ZOT" car
Julius Hughes, Jr. graduated @ Georgia Tech with a degree in Industrial Engineering. In 1959 a shop was opened for Engine Design/ Application. It all began in historic downtown Atlanta, behind Julius Hughes, Sr's home @ Ansley Park. The first official Atlanta Speed Shop became a success, opening it's doors @ Lakewood through partnership in 1960. The two partners, Julius Hughes, Jr. and Wally Taylor's success was due in part to their exclusive ownership of a Stewart Warner Balancing Machine. Mr. Taylor's father, a sales representative with Stewart Warner, made the purchase of this piece of machinery possible. Following in the footsteps of his father, Julius Hughes III earned a Degree in Industrial Engineering from Georgia Tech. After many years of apprenticeship, he purchased the Atlanta Speed Shop in 1988. Between the years of 1959 and 2000 there were 10 successful shop locations. In 2000, Julius Hughes, III purchased Industrial Property @ Gainesville, GA. A 17,000 sq ft shop building was designed and built by 2004 and is currently in full operation and achieving great success with a staff of Engineers, Machinist, Fabrication Specialist, Mechanics, and Office Assistance.